Monday 14 September 2009

Keith Green

I have just finished reading "No Compromise", the autobiography of Keith Green, written by his widow, Melody Green. I have been challenged by the impact this man had on his generation, who became a Christian at age 21, but was killed in a plane crash at age 28. In those short 7 years, he seemed to learn so much about his God and Saviour, Jesus Christ. He was a deeply intense man, and struggled for years in his quest for truth before becoming convicted of the gospel message by the Holy Spirit. Having struggled so hard to find the truth, having gone down so many blind alleys, he was absolutely committed to the gospel message. As a singer/songwriter his faith poured out through his songs, and in this way he impacted the Christian world in America in the late 1970s/early 1980s.

His life seems to reflect the same struggle which I have been going through regarding law/grace. Let me quote from his website:


"After striving for years to measure up to God's holiness, at times even questioning his own salvation, Keith came into a deeper understanding of the sacrifice Jesus made on the cross -- both to forgive his sins, and to clothe him in His righteousness. It was like a huge weight had been lifted off of his chest.

It wasn't that Keith became less concerned with purity and holiness. But now he was more motivated by love and less by fear in His pursuit of Jesus. He learned so much more about God’s grace and the importance of pausing simply to behold His glory and enjoy His presence. That is perhaps, what Keith loved most."

(http://www.lastdaysministries.org/Groups/1000008700/Last_Days_Ministries/Keith_Green/Bio/Bio.aspx)

One of his songs seems to sum up this struggle:



The lyrics are here:

GRACE BY WHICH I STAND

Lord, the feelings are not the same,
I guess I'm older, I guess I've changed.
And how I wish it had been explained,
that as you're growing you must remember,
That nothing lasts, except the grace of God, by which I stand, in Jesus.
I know that I would surely fall away, except for grace, by which I'm saved.

Lord, I remember that special way,
I vowed to serve you, when it was brand new.
But like Peter, I can't even watch and pray, one hour with you,
And I bet, I could deny you too.
But nothing lasts, except the grace of God, by which I stand, in Jesus.
I'm sure that my whole life would waste away, except for grace, by which I'm saved.
But nothing lasts, except the grace of God, by which I stand, in Jesus.
I know that I would surely fall away, except for grace, by which I'm saved.

1 comment:

  1. WOW! I really want to read his book now, my friend. Thanks for the recommendation.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete